I’ve made some good mix tapes in my day – meaning, yes, cassette tapes – but basically I’ve never made a mix CD until now, just in time for the slow death of the CD medium itself. Anyway, I’ve put together 43:37 of music to distribute to my bandmates: Stephan Crump, Liberty Ellman, Jamie Fox, Dan Rieser and my producer Kevin Killen when we rehearse tomorrow. The mix is made up of a very diverse set of tracks that have inspired me sonically, vocally, sentimentally, thematically and/or groove-wise in recent months, as we prepare to go into the magic cave of Mission Sound Recording Studio on March 11th. Yes, we’re on a mission. Or at least I am, and hopefully a listen to these will help us cohere around that..
Here are the songs, in their completely random order:
1) Amassakoul ‘N’ Ténéré, Tinarawen Amassakoul
2) Beautiful Tango, Hindi Zahra Handmade
3) Five Years, David Bowie Ziggy Stardust
4) Yes We Can Can, Allen Toussaint Our New Orleans
5) Grandma’s Hands, Bill Withers
6) Work It, Missy Elliot Under Construction
7) Fearless, Jill Walsh
8) Shoes, Jump, Stephan Crump with Rosetta Trio Reclamation
9) One’s on the Way, Loretta Lynn
10) Anything We Want, Fiona Apple The Idler Wheel
11) Con Toda Palabra, Lhasa, The Living Road
 Mixed by Kevin Killen. I love how the piano lick makes the whole song start again at minute 2:00. From a great compilation to benefit Habitat for Humanity in its efforts in rebuilding New Orleans.
 no, you’re not supposed to know what she’s saying, except most of the time
 Jill died in December and I’ve been remembering her beauty and her generous vocal mentoring through her recordings. Live drums by Dan Reiser, recorded at Mission Sound.
 Featuring Liberty Ellman and Jamie Fox, inspired by Maceo Crump
 Written by Shel Silverstein of The Giving Tree fame.
 the first song played while laboring to give birth to Van Wallace Crump.